Appearing at 9 o'clock, the three main escapement organs – the balance-wheel, pallet-lever and escape-wheel – are thus individualised, distinct and prominent. This ample space dedicated to the regulating organ enables its operation to be admired in full, and the cylindrical balance-spring to be seen beating throughout the three-day power reserve, including through a large water-resistant porthole created in the case middle.
When curves consort with chronometry
The Chronomètre FB 3SPC draws its stylistic, technical and aesthetic inspiration from a rare and exceptional creation, the No. 26 decimal watch, made in 1793 by Louis Berthoud. Calibre FB-SPC is based on a cylindrical balance-spring, a rare watchmaking speciality. It is the only one of its kind to satisfy the chronometric (precision timekeeping) criteria of the COSC: ISO 3159 certification made possible only by the precision adjustments performed by the Manufacture's watchmakers.
The FB 3SPC.1, one of the two versions available, is equipped with an 18-carat white gold case, 2N pale yellow gold movement components and an eggshell-coloured dial in sandblasted silver-toned brass.
Its round case, available in 18-carat white or rose gold, recalls the curves of pocket watches from the early 19th century, such as the decimal watch No. 26, made in 1793 by Louis Berthoud and now on display within the Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud heritage collection in Fleurier.
The mainplate is placed at the heart of Calibre FB-SPC and the components are assembled on either side of it. On the dial side, a close-knit array of six bridges traces curves and lines directly inspired by the work of Louis Berthoud. They are echoed on the back by ten other bridges forming an intimately juxtaposed mosaic.
- Material : Case in ethical 18-carat white gold
- Case Type : Round with a transparent sapphire ‘porthole’ at 9 o’clock
- Diameter : 42.30 mm
- Thickness : 9.43 mm
- Water resistance : 30 m
- Glass : Domed sapphire crystal glareproofed on both sides
- Case-back : Exhibition back in ethical 18-carat white gold fitted with a glareproofed sapphire crystal pane
- Crown type : Ethical 18-carat white gold
- Calibre : FB-SPC
- Type Of Movement : Mechanical with cylindrical balance-spring
- Type Of Winding : Hand-wound
- Diameter : 34 mm
- Тhickness : 6.84 mm
- Lines : 15'''
- Number of jewels : 47
- Frequency : 21,600 vph (3Hz)
- Power reserve : 72 hours
- Number of components : 230
- Certification : Chronometer-certified by the COSC
Dial and Hands
- Dial : Sandblasted nickel silver and 2N gilded
- Eggshell-coloured inner bezel ring for the hours and minutes and seconds subdial, in sandblasted silver-toned brass
- Facetted and skeletonised and open-tipped hours and minutes hands in 18-carat gold with blue CVD treatment
- Seconds hand with counterweight in 18-carat gold with blue CVD treatement
- Arrow-shaped power-reserve hand in 18-carat gold with blue CVD treatement
Functions and Display
- Central display of the hours and minutes
- Seconds at 6 o’clock
- Power reserve at 2'o'clock
Strap and Buckle
- Strap : Alligator leather
- Buckle : 18-carat white gold pin buckle